This past winter, while I was developing a fun cookbook for Ulysses Press, called Hogwarts for the Holidays, I had the pleasure of creating some fun drinks based on concepts from the popular book series. And that kind of lit something in me.
Now, I have fun creating all kinds of beverage concoctions – all non-alcoholic (since I don’t drink) but still fun and delicious. I avoid using added sugar for the most part as well, so that makes these great for anyone trying to drink something more exciting but low-calorie.
One of the ones I’m enjoying this summer (not in the book) includes this delightful fruity, low calorie medley.
Prep time: 7 minutes
- 1 cup frozen berries, almost thawed
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 16-ounce glasses, chilled
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 2 can sparkling water, lime or plain
- Garnish options: sprig of mint, slice of lime, or a whole raw strawberry
- Throw the berries into a food processor and process until pulped.
- Transfer the berries to a blender.
- Add the lime juice and lime zest to the berries. Blend well.
- Add 1/4 of the ice to each glass, then a quarter of the berry mix.
- Next, pour half a can of sparkling water into each glass.
- With a long-handled spoon, stir the ingredients together.
- Garnish with a slice of lime, a whole berry, or a sprig of mint, if desired.
- Serve immediately.